* Most external filmography links go to The Internet Movie Database.Other Links
Nuit #1 (2011/2012)
Opened: 07/27/2012 Limited
|Angelika/NYC||07/27/2012 - 08/02/2012||7 days|
|Village East||08/03/2012 - 08/09/2012||7 days|
|The Nuart||08/10/2012 - 08/16/2012||7 days|
Trailer: Click for trailer
Genre: Canadian Drama (French w/English subtitles)
You can live a lifetime in one night.
An exploration of sex, intimacy and love, NUIT #1 is a film about despair, individualism and the anxieties of belonging. It exposes the potential of even the most fleeting encounters.
Clara and Nikolai meet at a rave. They return to Nikolai's apartment and frantically make love. Afterwards, instead of parting, the two lovers divulge their deepest secrets to one another.
Nicolai is a beautiful loner, one with great ambition which he's unable to articulate to his peers. At thirty-one years old, he leads a simple and frugal life. He applies himself to reading the great classics of literature but never finishes a book he has begun. Unable to submit to any schedule, he finds himself unfit for work. He envisions big projects and has expansive ideas but, inevitably and despite himself, loses sight of them before they are realized.
Clara, like Nikolai, seems not to be made for this world. She leads a double life. By day, she works as a third grade teacher; by night, she is a compulsive party-girl, exorcizing or forgetting her vaunted hopes. She goes out every night, gets drunk and high, invites high-voltage sexual combinations, all the while desperately trying to fill an emotional void yet never succeeding.
Though they are tempted to animas by all-too-common and divisive gender politics, politics they simultaneously fear and embrace, the friction between them is trumped by a common determination to bridge the gap that they realize afflicts the women and men of their lost, but far from hopeless, generation.
- Nomination, Best Film, 14th Jutra Awards, Montreal, Quebec, 2012
- Nomination, Best Direction, 14th Jutra Awards, Montreal, Quebec, 2012
- Nomination, Best Actress, 14th Jutra Awards, Montreal, Quebec, 2012
- Claude Jutra Award, 32nd Genie Awards, Toronto, Ontario, 2012
- Nomination, Best Actress, 32nd Genie Awards, Toronto, Ontario, 2012
- Pyrenee for Best Actress, 2nd International Film Festival in Pau, France, 2011
- Innovation Award-Daniel Langlois, the 40th Festival of New Cinema, 2011
- Best Canadian Feature Film, 30th Vancouver International Film Festival, 2011
- Special Jury Mention, 36th Toronto International Film Festival, 2011
- Grand Jury Prize, 28th International Festival of Francophone Film, Tubingen, Germany, 2011